SC - Pynson book in Longleat collection

Jamey R. Lathrop jlathrop at unm.edu
Mon May 12 20:41:39 PDT 1997

Quoth Moi (Dagonell):
> > I was thinking of something like the arrangement in "To the King's Taste"
> > An original: "Take sawge, parsel, ysope and savray...
> > A translation: Take sage, parsley, hyssop and savory...
> > A redaction: 1 tsp dried sage, 1 c chopped parsley, ...
> > With the redactor given full blam////credit.
> > Obviously, I can't do this in every case, but I'd like to stay as close
> > to this as possible.

> Yes!  That's exactly what I want to see; it's easier to learn the
> language that way, the better to cope with originals in books that
> have *not* bothered to translate for you!  (And also to give you the
> chance to say, "This translation is rot, so I will re-redact it to
> suit my own translation!")

I don't know about rotten translations, generally I vary due to necessity.
I may not have hyssop to hand, and the original might say "and other good
herbs" which I take as license to add whatever I have around the kitchen.

Actually, a problem I'm starting to see crop up as I type (I added two
dozen recipes this weekend) is that some of the documentation with the
submissions just says "Ancient Rome" or "Platt", which I take to be Apicius
or "Delights for Ladies".  I have the originals, but the redactor didn't
give me THEIR translation.  So, if I look it up to add it, I'll have:

An original: "Take sawge, parsel, ysope and savray...    From the text
A translation: Take sage, parsley, hyssop and savory...  By Dagonell
A redaction: 1 tsp dried sage, 1 c chopped parsley, ...  By redactor

If someone tries to follow this line by line, it would result in a step by
step translation followed by a possible wild leaps through the redaction.
Methinks I'll have to take some of the submitters by the hand...

> > Got it!  Table of Contents AND back of the book index.  (And don't get
> > Adamantius mad at me whatever I do! ;-)  I was thinking of having the book
> > ordered into sections, Appetizers, Main Dishes, Sides, Desserts, etc.

> Are the dishes going to be assigned to sections according to modern or
> period use?

Ooo!  Good point!  I'll bring it up with the guild head at Baronial business
meeting this week.

> > The Table of Contents would list by meal name and the index would list by
> > main ingredient ie, Chicken Dishes... p.16, 23, 34 etc.  Acceptable?

> Actually, I'd like to see the names of the dishes in the (or at least
> an) index too; I often don't know what a dish is when someone mentions
> it only by name, and might be hard put to figure out which section to
> look in.  But then, I've never yet found any book that had as much
> information in the index as I thought it should... ;)

Actually, I'm amused by how fast some folks learn when their tastebuds are
involved. ;-) ;-)
	"I'll be serving Sweet Measure with Charwardon on the side."
	"Oh boy, Dagonell's Honey Chicken with Pear Sauce!"
Seriously, good point.  I'll include dish and translation in the index.

> > 							-- Dagonell

>    Alys of Foxdale          Shire of Stierbach, Kingdom of Atlantia
>  mka Sallie Montuori               Chantilly, Virginia, USA
> foxdale at wolfstar.com
							-- Dagonell
               ______
              /      |   INTERNET   : salley at cs.canisius.edu
             /       |   USNAILNET  : David P. Salley, 136 Shepard Street,
    ________/        |                Buffalo, New York 14212-2029 U.S.A.
   |*                |   WEB-NET    : http://www-cs.canisius.edu/~salley
  /  Rhydderich Hael |   ICBMNET    : 42 55 32 N / 78 51 10 W / Alt 600
 |______________     |   PERSONA    : Lord Dagonell Collingwood of Emerald Lake
 AEthelmearc,   `_   |                AKA Dagonell the Juggler
    East Kingdom  `__|   DISCLAIMER :"Canisius never agrees with me."