SC - Fun vs Authenticity

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 16 17:38:36 PDT 1997

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I had major knee surgery about 8 months ago and am coming up on my first
> concrete-floor feast kitchen since the op. PLEEEEEEASE give me some hints on
> what to do to avoid cook's knees. I've got the excellent shoes bit down pat
> and am thinking of investing in some of those blue dense foam sleeping mats
> as floor mats. Does anyone, anywhere, have some good hints----Don't ask me
> to cook sitting. My personality won't allow it.
>
> Aoife

Hello again, Aoife!

Regardless of my stodgy views on pies ;  ), I've been cooking in the SCA
for going on 13 years, and have earned my living as a chef as well.
Here's what I've learned in that time, speaking as a cook who can still
easily remain standing AND coherent (well, as coherent as I usually am,
anyway) for around 16 hours or more, despite my grey hairs:

Necessity 1) Really good shoes. They have arch support, HEEL support,
and probably a steel toe. Knapp used to make a steel-toed, black leather
"dress" sneaker that was ideal. Good traction (another essential), too!
Many chefs wear a special clog with a stiff but jointed sole that
provides excellent support, and has the advantage of being able to be
kicked off, in the event of dousing them with boiling oil or other
disasters. Unless you need to run in them, they may be the ideal kitchen
shoe. (I can't afford them myself!)

Necessity 2) Thick, padded socks, such as hikers and mountain climbers
wear. You can get them in a sporting goods store. They have extra thick
padded sections on the toe, the sole, and the heel. Pretty expensive,
but 5 pairs saved my life when I was the man in white (and funny checked
pants)...

Necessity 3) Remember to flex your Achilles tendon. Try to bend your
ankle til you can touch your shin with your toes. I assume you won't
make it, but the effort is helpful in preventing funky bunions on your
heels, and other weird calcium deposits that eliminate the elasticity of
your tendons.

Necessity 4) This may or may not be a problem, depending on the kind of
person you are. With all respect to everyone on the list, one of the
best ways to avoid injuries to joints is to lose any excess weight you
may be capable of losing. Less weight, less joint stress. It's that
simple. It sounds so easy, and it is so hard in reality, but if you are
one of those people who can do this, it is helpful.

Necessity 5) Seltzer.

Here endeth the messin'!

Adamantius