SC - Edible Flowers

Peters, Rise J. PETERSR at spiegel.becltd.com
Mon May 19 10:12:28 PDT 1997

Michael farrel wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>Im the class I am currently in we had to make a sausage named landjager.  It
>is a German sausage that is smoked then air-dried.  When finished it is
>preserved and can be carried around at room temperature no problem.
>
>Does anyone know if this sausage is period?  If it is it would make wonderful
>camp food.  If this particular recipe isn't period do you know of any other
>sausages that are?  Particularly cured sausages.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Michael Farrell

I immediately went to my Sausage "Bible", Great Sausage Recipes and MEat
Curing by Rytek Kutas, and found that it says of landjager "Literally,
landjager means Land Hunter in German. A landjager in Germany was similar to
our National Gaurd or Army Reserve. It seems this sausage was used by the
field troops, as our armed forces use K or C rations. landg\jager also is
referred to as a pressed sausage and is very popular in the midwestern part
of the USA."

So, though we are no forrader, I can say that at least The Kutas recipe is
not medieval, since it contains dextrose powder and corn syrup solids (plus
white pepper, coriander seeds, salt, pork, beef, Prague Powder, and
something called fermento). That does not mean you are off base, however.
Modern sausage making in bulk has done both wonderful and terrible things to
sausage. Wonderful in that it has mostly eliminated food poisoning, and
awful in that the really wonderful ingredients may have been replaced with
cheap substitutes.

For those who have not tried making their own sausage, I urge you to give it
a shot. I attended a sausage-making class at pennsic (of all places), and
was so inspired that I went home and 2 months later made home-made sausage
for our next event. By hand. With some of the most loyal and wonderful
friends helping me that a gal could want. It took hours, but it was
definately worth it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

You'll need to find a good book about sausage making. I gather that there
aren't many out there. You can get a copy of the above mentioned title from
The Sausage Maker, 26 Military Road, Buffalo NY, 14207.  They also send free
catalogs to anyone who requests one, at which time you'll be placed on their
mailing list.

Not much help, I know, but an interesting topic.

Aoife