Re(2): SC - bee barf

Alys of Foxdale foxdale at wolfstar.com
Tue May 27 10:12:33 PDT 1997

Greetings,

Honey prices are definitely going up, and have already gone up significantly.

Over the past 5-10 years the hives in this country and around the world have
been under attack by a little beast named the Varroa mite.  It weakens the
hive, they produce less honey, and end up not surviving the winter.  60-70%
of domesticated hives have been wiped out.  About 90% of the wild population
is gone.

Because of this honey prices have gone up, less supply=higher prices.  Also
the beekeepers still in business are hit so hard with the lower production
they have to raise prices to meet expenses.

2 years ago if I purchased honey in bulk I could get it for as low as $.66/#.
 Now those same sources are charging over a dollar a pound.  Until we truly
get a handle on the Varroa mites the price of honey will continue to climb.

As a side note, once we do learn how to manage the Varroa mites, there will
be a lot of room in the industry for commercial beekeepers.  It would be an
easy business to break into and very profitable because prices would still be
inflated.

Thank you,

Michael Farrell