SC - Emerald Joust

Peters, Rise J. PETERSR at spiegel.becltd.com
Tue May 27 12:41:58 PDT 1997

> Greetings,
>
> Honey prices are definitely going up, and have already gone up
significantly.

Not only are honey prices going up, but the prices of other crops that require
bee "rental" for pollination will be going up as well.  In reality, I won't be
surprised if the mite is responsible for the general price of food going up
from a lowered yield due to lower pollination rates.

> Over the past 5-10 years the hives in this country and around the world have
> been under attack by a little beast named the Varroa mite.  It weakens the
> hive, they produce less honey, and end up not surviving the winter.  60-70%
> of domesticated hives have been wiped out.  About 90% of the wild population
> is gone.

I heard that one beekeeper actually had luck in reducing the mite damage done
to her bees through planting mint(?) around her hives.  NPR did a story on it
a couple of months ago.

> Thank you,
>
> Michael Farrell

Derdriu
- ----
This message was sent using a demo version of BBEdit, a product of Bare Bones
Software, Inc.
http://www.tiac.net/biz/bbsw/

- --
swensel at brandegee.lm.com