SC - Cook's Knees

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun May 18 08:40:54 PDT 1997

<<
 I had major knee surgery about 8 months ago and am coming up on my first
 concrete-floor feast kitchen since the op. PLEEEEEEASE give me some hints on
 what to do to avoid cook's knees. I've got the excellent shoes bit down pat
 and am thinking of investing in some of those blue dense foam sleeping mats
 as floor mats. Does anyone, anywhere, have some good hints >>

Well, speaking as my mundane persona as a physical therapist, I can give a
few suggestions.  I certainly won't ask you to do the entire feast sitting
down, but it would be a good idea to intersperse short sitting periods (10-15
minutes each) in your cooking time, every hour or two.
The dense foam mats may be too soft - they'll be unsatble and that will make
your knee work harder.  The kind of rubber mats some people use in the back
of theit trucks would be better - you don't want anything you are actually
going to sink into, just somethng that will take a little of the hardnes off
the floor.  Also be sure that it is something that will absolutely not slip
(rubber seems to be the best for this, too.)

Barb Croll
Licensed PT
(Bronwyn doesn't know anything about this.)