SC - Sugar Stuff! Was: Cane Honey??

Sun Nov 2 13:15:25 PST 1997

Alderton, Philippa wrote:

> One thing you might all consider is that cuskynoles may be a recipe much
> like spaghetti sauce, chili, or red beans and rice, subject to regional
> variations and interpretations.. Half the people I know mix the red beans
> WITH the rice, the others spoon the red beans OVER the rice. If some noble
> or his lady were to try an interesting dish while visiting out of their
> home area, I can certainly see telling the cook about it when they got
> home, and the cook making up his best possible interpretation. After all,
> if the cook were illiterate, he'd have difficulty getting the recipe from
> the main source, and I can't really see him instructing his Lord or one of
> the armsmen to memorize it and bring it back.

This is, of course, true, up to a point. In some cases this may also be
a result of master cooks travelling as part of the Royal Progress, for
instance, which is not, I believe, unheard of. You also find the
phenomenon at work in the later sources like Digby, who would include a
particularly fine mead recipe from Abner, tenth Duke of Widebottom, or
braggot as made by Lady Crashingbore.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com