SC - Potatoes (Sweet, Etc.)-LONG

Mon Nov 10 11:32:39 PST 1997

  >  here's my recipe for
  >      quick and easy beef barley soup, er, bread spread:

I dunno why this was forwarded from the Middle Kingdom list to the Cooks
list.  But just for fun, here is my followup:

       And as an apology for another no-fun posting, here's my recipe for
       quick and easy beef barley soup, er, bread spread:

I frequently make barley soup....  A suggestion, if you will.  Start with
stock, and whatever ingredients you care to use. (I tend to cook from
scratch, I like it better.)  Saute whatever veggies you are going to use,
add the broth, and simmer for a VERY long time.  Once the flavor is
maximally into the broth, add the barley and let it expand and boil.  It
makes a richer soup.

I tend to use onions, garlic, mushrooms, and whatever else strikes my
fancy.  Herbs include black pepper, bay leaf, possibly sage, a sprinkle of
mustard, etcetera.  A tiny touch of dried parsley is nice.

	Tibor