SC - Re: Palate Cleansers

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Nov 16 17:31:45 PST 1997

The conversation goes:

>>I'm wondering if this was a period practice--I don't recall ever
>>coming across something like this before. Any comments?

David/Cariadoc replies:

>Not as far as I know. Chiquart has entremets, but they are not palate
>cleansers.

I had thought (based on something I'd read, somewhere... Scully,
maybe?) that the entremets were (generally) simpler foods, especially
in taste.  In that sense, a frumenty would be less exotically spiced
than the dishes which preceded it.  Wouldn't these serve in a similar
function to a "palate cleanser"?  I don't swear that all entremets were
"bland" but I remember going back to search recipes to see that the
concept was valid.

Alys K.