SC - Translating cookbooks

Par Leijonhufvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Mon Nov 17 04:11:29 PST 1997

>Bravely unlurking to comment:
>
>>>And also brings us back to one of the basic rules of cooking--for 99
>>>44/100% of your dishes, don't use wine/beer/liquor that you wouldn't be
>>>willing to drink yourself (or if you don't drink, that you wouldn't be
>>>willing to serve someone who knows what's what)
>>>
>>An excellent philosophy to live by!!
>>Ivy~
>
>I have never developed a taste for *dry* wines (love liqueurs, muscats,
>etc.), including the unavoidable multitudes of Cabernet Savignons, which
>taste like varyingly-acceptable versions of vinegar to me. I do cook with
>them, of course, finding they become palatable when mixed with good food. I
>was at V. Sattui winery in Napa Valley once (it's hard to get to from
>Fairbanks, Alaska), and commented to Duchess Juana Isabella Montoya y etc.,
>OL, and member of their Harvest Club, upon tasting their 5-year-old
>Cabernet Savignon, that it was good enough to cook with. Luckily, she was
>not trying to drink any at the time! But if looks could have killed, I
>wouldn't be here to tell the story.

And in a similiar way - I was once making Brandied cumquats using a rather
nice Armagnac when a friend, who considers himself a bit of a brandy
connoisseur dropped by, - he was horrorfied and demanded I allow him to
finnish the bottle but I refused because "that's the cooking Armagnac".
And even he agreed that it made for damn fine brandied cumquats.  So if its
feasting your after use the best ingredients from start to end.

Hobbit

The map is not the territory,
the menu is not the meal,
the equation is not the flight path,