SC - Translating cookbooks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Nov 17 04:33:18 PST 1997

Lord Ras,

I'm one of those odd folks whose favorite wines are dry reds, particolarly
the ones with a strong flavor of tannin in them. Of course, I'm also a fan
of good single malt Scotches, my favorites of which could be called "Old
Peat Bog". I've found the flavors of both the peat and the iodine in the
ones made close to the sea to be exactly what I had been looking for when I
first tried and liked Scotch. To each their own. I guess that's why there
are so many varieties of potables out there.

Phlip

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
:
: In a message dated 97-11-17 00:02:21 EST, you write:
:
: << I have never developed a taste for *dry* wines (love liqueurs, muscats,
:  etc.), including the unavoidable multitudes of Cabernet Savignons, which
:  taste like varyingly-acceptable versions of vinegar to me.>>
:
: How sad. :-( The complexities and flavors that roll across the tongue when
: drinking good wine are  overwhelmingly sensuous..
:
: <<I do cook with them, of course, finding they become palatable when mixed
: with good food.>>
:
: Remember though that the quickest way to ruin good food is to marry itn
with
: a bad wine.
:
: <<I was at V. Sattui winery in Napa Valley once (it's hard to get to from
:  Fairbanks, Alaska), and commented to Duchess Juana Isabella Montoya y
etc.,
:  OL, and member of their Harvest Club, upon tasting their 5-year-old
:  Cabernet Savignon, >>
:
: I am glad that you found a Cabernet that was palatable at 5 years.
: Personally, I can't stomach a Cabernet Sauvignon that is less than 8-10
: yearsd old and 15 to 20 is far more acceptable.
:
: <<that it was good enough to cook with. >>
:
: I will take your word for it but I find it hard to imagine that anyone
could
:  find it acceptable to cook with. Now may abe a 5 year old Merlot or Red
: Zinfandel. But a Cabernet? It almost stretches the imagination to it's
: limits!
:
: <<Luckily, she was not trying to drink any at the time! But if looks could
: have killed, I
:  wouldn't be here to tell the story.>>
:
: Believe me that if she was satisfied with  the heavy tannins present in a
5
: yr. Cabernet, you have nothing to worry about. I would personally be
amused
: with her look and wonder her taste was as equally jaded in other wines.
:
:  <<Ducking and returning to lurker mode...
:
:  Morgana>>
:
: Why do that? I enjoy all types of wine and infinately prefer semi-dry over
: dry inless it has been well-aged and the tannins have fallen out of it. Of
: course, it is in the end dependant on the food being served or more
: specifically the sauces and spices accompanying the main ingredients. Try
: German whites and I'm sure that you will be pleased. :-)
:
: A good rule of thumb is definately whatever you're serving as wine should
be
: the wine used in the cooking.
:
: Ras (who also appreciates fine sherries and ports and absolutely LOVES a
nice
: French Sauterne served with  Rouquefort Cheese.)
:
:
:
: