SC - Translating cookbooks

DELTAYLOR@aol.com DELTAYLOR at aol.com
Mon Nov 17 07:54:42 PST 1997

I agree with this.  I think that this may be part of the reason redactions
of extant material become so difficult.  The translator might be familiar
with a certain way something is done (it is always done that way in the
translator's country) and so may leave out that portion of the text thinking
that everyone knows that a certain thing is done a certain way (think of the
recent discussion on those Cusky thingies).  Better to have an exact word
for word translation if possible including footnotes, sidebars and penciled
in notes (my grandmother used to do this all the time when she made a
substitution to a recipie including a note on how the substitution worked
out).  This can be a huge amount of work to translate but IMHO is well worth
the trouble

Dragonfyr