SC - Wild Carrot Seed-unforeseen disaster! :-(

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Nov 29 06:34:57 PST 1997

> Wait a minute? Do I understand that you do *puff pastry* at camping
> events?
>
> I can do it with my eyes closed with a frig, but how in heaven's name
> do
> you make puff pastry outside, in the summer, with nothing more, I
> assume,
> than an ice chest????? And how do you bake it without a hot, fast
> electric or gas oven?????
>
> Julleran, mind-boggled over the picture of making puff pastry at
> Pennsic
> (say that three times fast!)

why, yes i have. you work it at night when it is relatively cool, you
put the slab of marble in the ice chest for the day wrapped in plastic
to keep it dry. the resting period works just as well in the ice chest
as long as you keep the dough dry. as for baking it, i have a mondo
stainless steel bowl about 30" diameter, and a dutch oven. bury the
dutch oven in the coals, put the lid on, heap coals on top to preheat.
dig it out, put in the tin can ring to make a support for a pie tin,
place the pastry tidbit in the pie tin, place on ring, put the oven lid
back on, rebury and cover the area with the stainless steel bowl. it
helps if you practice with the pie tin and an oven thermometer to get a
ballpark on the temp a few times to help out with the timing.
this summer i hope to have a brick beehive oven heated from below with
the floor of the oven being boiler plate, have dogrobbing lord working
on it right now.

margali

and ny favorite breakfast at a camping event is crepes benedict- instead
of on a muffin, wrap scrambled eggs, bacon crumbles in a crepe, top with
hollandaise and more crumbled bacon. yummy.