SC - Ropy?

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Tue Nov 4 11:00:03 PST 1997

<<
 The answers to these, and many other exciting questions, are, simply, I
 don't know. What I do know, on the topic, is that Taillevent includes a
 couple of recipes for the treatment and rescue of ropy wine, so
 presumably it was, at one time, thought of as a bad thing. IIRC, Andrew
 Boorde also refers to the Welsh ale known as cwryw, as being
 unpleasantly ropy. I always assumed it meant that the liquid had strands
 of slime in it, giving it both an unpleasant taste and texture.

 I suppose it's also possible that what constitutes "ropy" now, is
 different from what it meant in period, but I don't know for sure one
 way or the other.

 Adamantius

     I'm *not* at all an expert on femented things, but I've seen vinegars
that have been around a long time develop the "strands of slime" stuff in the
bottom, and so that was my interpretation of the term as well.

     On a marginally related topic (And while I'm typing), can anyone give me
references and/or recipes for period cordials? I'm especially interested in
early ones that are more medicinal in nature, but am interested in all of the
info I can get. A new friend is asking questions and reminding me just how
much I don't know on the topic!         ;-0

           Ldy Diana