SC - Farmer's cheese - O

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Wed Nov 19 10:58:01 PST 1997

                      RE>SC - Farmer's cheese - OT sorta           11/19/97

I have a recipe that call's for farmer's cheese. I have searched all the
grocery chains around here for it.  But to no avail.
What is it?
What is a reasonable substitute?
Can I use riccota?
Or dry-curd cottage cheese?
Or is it more closely related to something else?
Or, is there a mixture I can make from two other cheeses that will end up
resembling farmer's cheese?
<snip>

I have had it a couple times, it is a little drier and crumblier than the
"real" cream cheese you can get at a deli or a fancy grocery store (as opposed
to "philly").  It is sort of sour.  I think riccotta would be too wet.  A
combination of dry-curd cottage cheese and cream cheese might work.  You might
be able to find farmers cheese at a non-grocery store deli where you can get
cuts of meat and cheese as well as sandwiches.
- -brid