SC - Marrow

margali margali at 99main.com
Sat Nov 29 03:52:19 PST 1997

James L. Matterer wrote:

> Greetings, all.
>
>  Can anyone give me advice on the availability of marrow, or what a
> good
> substitute may be? The dish I'm re-creating is "A bake Mete Ryalle"
> from
> Austin's Two 15th c. Cookery-Books, p 55, which calls for "cromyd
> Marow"
> (crumbled marrow), as well as a "gobet of marow."
>
> Yours in Service,
> Master Huen/Jim Matterer

if memory serves, and this early in the am on a saturday, wihthout
coffee i am bordering on amnesiac...i think a vegetable marrow in
european terms is a form of squash, and i would surmise a gobet of
marrow may refer to the real thing, winkled out of a suitable bone, beef
pork or lamb. of course the first may refer to cooked marrow which is
then crmbled up?
as to where to get it, go to the butchers or wherever you can find the
really large legbones of a cow[because if you try to get it from the
little shank sections it will take forever toget enough] and ask for
marrow bones, marrow is present in ribs and other bones, but the leg
bine segments are the easiest to get it from. unless it calls for raw
marrow, i like to roast the bones and then crack them to pull out the
whole piece at once rather than to scoop it out in bits. marrow is good
to ebnrich soup, and i have a nice attereaux recipe calling for marrow
and truffles in a nice bearnaise sauce crumbed and fried that is to die
for.

margali