SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #321

Chris Peters cpeters at cinemagnetics.com
Wed Oct 1 17:10:03 PDT 1997

>According to an article I read recently, it takes several hours of
>cooking for the alcohol to be removed completely from a stew. And while
>the alcohol is then gone various other residues are left.

Here is the chart on it that I have:

ALCOHOL REMAINING       PREPARATION
100%                    Immediate consumption
70%                     Overnight storage (after opening)
85%                     Boiling liquid, remove from heat
75%                     flamed baked or simmered:
40%                     15 min.
35%                     30 min.
25%                     1 hour
20%                     1.5 hour
10%                     2 hours
5%                      2.5 hours

(from Agricultural Research Service 1989)

As for Lord Ras's comment:

>> is removed in cooking and I get violent migraines from red wine yet have
>> never had a reaction to it when it is used as a cooking ingredient. Just
>> something that puzzles me.
>>
>> Lord Ras

The allergic reaction is not to the alcohol itself, otherwise it would not
be JUST red wine that gives you trouble.  In cooking, it is possible that
whatever it is in the red wine that you are sensitive to (such as an
additive or preservative) is altered chemically.

Erica.