SC - Contents questions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 1 18:20:27 PDT 1997

Marisa Herzog wrote:

> I knew that nutmeg is poisonous in large quantities, and clove is carcinogenic
> (what isn't?!), what is poisonous about bay/laurel?  On a local herb walk the
> teacher pointed out the "nuts" of the bay as a stimulant.  Apparently native
> californians chewed them as a stimulant and appitite supressant.
> -brid

A friend of mine, who is a research chemist by trade, informs me that
the essential oil from bay leaves makes a dandy roach poison /
repellant. My Province has a canton that corresponds to the mundane
Island of Mahattan, who had attempted to register a device with a chief
charge of a certain Urban Pest. We used to have a good time with this
when Laurels were present...

As for nutmegs being poisonous, it is true that if enough is eaten,
various degrees of toxic reaction can occur. But we're talking about
QUITE a few whole nutmegs, perhaps a pound or more, to endanger the
average person. I don't know what the required amount of bay leaves
would be to harm a person, but it is extremely unlikely that a person
could eat enough to do any damage, unless thay are attempting a very
inefficient suicide method.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com