SC - Re: Questions

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Wed Oct 1 19:29:48 PDT 1997

Aine of Wyvernwood wrote:

> actually that is not quite true...all the alcohol is NOT removed in cooking.
> My ex is a alcoholic - in the past he has be on whatever the drug is that
> make an alky sick if they drink.  More than once, we have eaten in a restaurant
> that claimed the alcohol was removed by cooking or that the dish had NO alcohol in
> it.....my poor hubby spent the rest of the evening violently ill.
> The last program he was in [dec 96]  told us that  the myth of the alcohol being
> removed due to the cooking process was, just that a myth and offered him
> reading matierial to back that up...no I don't have the reading material.
> hugs
> Aine

The boiling point of alcohol is considerably lower than the boiling
point of water, and if food is boiled for a sufficient period of time,
there will be no alcohol in the food, except for a very few trace
molecules that a good chemist might or might not find with the proper
equipment. Those molecules do not appear to have any physical effect on
an alcoholic.

On the other hand, since the addiction to alcohol is both psychological
as well as physical, it is very likely more the presence of the flavor
or aroma of the wine or spirit in the food that will do the damage, and
the effects that this will have on an alcoholic will vary from case to
case.

The myth to which you refer is not a myth at all, merely an
oversimplification.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com