SC - re: bay/references

kat kat at kagan.com
Fri Oct 3 14:33:02 PDT 1997

Michael Macchione wrote:

(re thousand-year-old eggs)

> How does one tell that they are done?  Is there a problem with burying
> them too long?  And, how alkaline should the soil be?  I grew up in
> Northern Jersey and with the amount of acid rain that the area receives I
> would doubt that the soil is very alkaline in nature.  Delaware, where I
> now live, probably isn't much better.  I would love to try this, but would
> think that if it didn't turn out right that it would be fairly disgusting.
>
> Kael

I seem to recall the mud is essentially a paste made from some kind of
ash and water. I believe you'd have a very hard time doing this with any
kind of naturally occuring soil.

I bet they would be pretty nasty if you just buried the eggs in ordinary
mud and hoped for the best, unless you lived in a place that was
naturally cold most of the time, but where the ground doesn't actually
freeze. Parts of Scandinavia come to mind. Of course, I can't imagine
what you would get under those conditions...

I do have a recipe for salted duck eggs somewhere, and they're pretty
good. I know there's one in one of the Jeff Smith books.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com