SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #329

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at vr-net.com
Mon Oct 6 20:51:36 PDT 1997

Hi

Well, that's definitely a "yes" and "no" on the period vs mundane
considerations.  As for the salmon, most salmon on the markets here
on the East coast is designated as farm raised or wild.  It's my
understanding that farm raised salmon is quite plentiful and in no
way endangers the wild population.  I've also noticed the retail
price on salmon dropping so some part of this must be true.  Would I
serve something TRUELY endangered?  No Way, but it wouldn't fit in a
feast bubget anyway :-).  I think it would be impossible to serve a
truely PC feast.  Someone will always find something to nitpick
about.  If you tried to feed a roomful of people by their
political/religious/ vegetarian/animal rghts views everyone would
starve.  So do the best you can and tell the complainers to cook
their own.

And on a similar point,  would you necessarily make something
like, say, a sausage recipe from Platina that called for calf or cow
brain when there is, even though minor, a risk of contracting  Mad
Cow Disease from eating cow brains? (Very minor from what I
understand as American cattle feeding practices are different from
those of the British.  Mainly, we don't feed cow to cow).  Or, would
you brew a medicinal or cordial from a period recipe that contains an
herb that is NOW known to be poisonous?   Methinks it all boils down
to common sense.