SC - Chestnuts

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Oct 10 18:51:10 PDT 1997

<< to be honest, this s off the top of my head....but as I recall rice was
not
 introduced to america until the mid 1700;s.....
 I also do know that it was the staple crop of the south [along with indigo]
 until
 1850......  my family still grows it, organically, sell it for a fortune to
 restaurants.
  but otherwise, I am not so sure it was available...
 and if it was, was most likely beyond the reach of much of populace
pricewise.
 aine >>

Rice was a staple crop during the Middle ages. You are correct about it being
succesfully grown in America rather later. I would add the the introduction
of a crop into America has little bearing on it's widespread use in the Old
World during the M.A. Some crops now currently popular were little known
before the 1950's in America, such as Eggplant and lentils which were widely
grown and used in the M.A. Rice flour is nearly universal in period cookery
books. Rice itself was experimentally grown is such places as France as early
as the mid-1300's. All in all<IMO, it would be safe to say that rice was
easily obtained and almost universally used by the gentry and noblemen. So
far as to it's use among the peasants, I have no information and since
SCAdians are considered noblemen , it's unavailability to peasants if such
were the case is a moot point when it comes to feast planning. :-)

Ras