SC - horror stories (was re: fake intestines)

Tue Oct 14 13:17:10 PDT 1997

Drake asked:

> Eek.  Not sure that's required.  Has anyone else got horror stories of
> lovingly prepared dishes destroyed at someone elses hands at Feasts?

Welllllll.... now that you ask...

This one didn't happen to me personally; but I was there for the whole thing.  A feastocrat asked the 12-year-old daughter of the head of my house (from a family of really great cooks) to "be in charge" of an entire course.  She patiently researched and (with lots of help) recreated the recipes -- a lovely beef dish and a green olive soup; and no, Ras, I don't have the recipes or source <grin> --  and had us over for dinner a couple of times trying them out.  I think they were perioid rather than period; but she worked her little heart out and the test runs were terrific!

She showed up the morning of the feast, armed with notes and information... and was told by the Great and Mighty Feastocrat that, since she was so young, she was not allowed to touch the knives or come near the stove.  He refused to take her advice on the dishes and prepared the recipes HIS way.

And he made a few mistakes.

Like not draining the brine from the olives prior to making the soup.

<<<<<<<<<shudder>>>>>>>>>>  I can STILL taste it...

	- kat