SC - Ready to smoke!

Michael P Newton melc2newton at juno.com
Thu Oct 16 09:26:36 PDT 1997

Sabia wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
> > Funny you should mention jumbles in connection with pretzels: jumbles
> > are, most traditionally, tied into a knot, or at least in a loop with
> > overlapping ends, and they are boiled before baking, as many versions of
> > the pretzel are.
>
> Is there a good place to look for documentation of pretzels or jumbles?
> If this was previously posted, I aploogise, my fingers got delete happy!
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> Second question.  I have a huge desire to a subtlety feast, but need
> suggestions on a desert that would be sea oriented?  This would not
> necesarely need to be a sea bi-product just look it.
>
> Sabia (sabia at unm.edu)

Pastry or marzipan fish, sea shells, boats, etc., floating on an
appropriately colored leach of jelly?

As for jumbles, there's a recipe for them in one of the later medieval
English sources, like from the 15th or 16th centuries, entitled 'to make
iombols an hundred". It might be in Goud Kokery, from Curye on Inglysch,
or perhaps the Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye. I'll see if I can find it.

Don't know much about the genuine origin of pretzels, except for the
standard myth from the Larousse Gastronomique, which is almost identical
to the story given in association with the invention of the croissant,
about how some city (Vienna, Budapest, or fill in the blank with your
own home town) was under siege by Islamic invaders, and the activites of
tunnelling sappers was heard by bakers, who gave the alarm, saved the
city, and invented either pretzels or croissants in comemoration... .

Oy, as I once heard a bagel aficionado exclaim, veh!

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com