SC - head cook-serious then SILLY

Kimib2@aol.com Kimib2 at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 10:32:08 PDT 1997

Mike C. Baker wrote:

> In re: fried bologna, or other fried "sandwich meats", my own
> experience is that it is *not* an "Eastern thing". The references
> to being related to growing up in the Depression may be
> significant, but I suspect that the root origins may go back to
> the use of pan-fried ham (either alone or in combination with
> other foods).

Ah, I can see it now... the pantheon of classical sandwiches...the
croque-monsieur...the panatello...the pan bagnat...the Irish bookmaker's
sandwich...fried bologna a la Nutley, Nouveau Jersey...

> Adamantius, growing up in Oklahoma the only time I encountered
> fried salami&eggs was when I made it myself (clearing refrigerator
> left-overs, and no, sadly it was not "the good stuff" -- I did not
> have a regular, reasonably-priced source for hard ["Genoa"] salami
> at the time).

I always regarded salami and eggs as a Kosher thing, for those who don't
eat bacon or other forms of pork.

<Spam recipe snipped for space>

Probably one of the better uses for Spam, since it cuts down on the
unbelievable saltiness of the main raw ingredient...it actually reminds
me of many recipes for real devilled ham, which is another one of those
foods that people seem to have forgotten didn't originally come from a
can.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com