SC - pickled herring

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Mon Oct 20 10:30:36 PDT 1997

  Can the good members of this list recommend any good, basic cookbooks?  Now
  that I've finally unpacked all of mine I realized that I don't own a basic
  cookbook.

I recommend (for those that have at least a little experience in the
kitchen) The Joy Of Cooking.

Mostly, it has at least one recipe for anything.  Usually, a pretty basic
one.  That's good for beginners, and it's also good for folks, like me, that
get a taste in their mouth, and start to hack.  (I rarely cook any recipe as
written: including mine. :-)

It also has occasional chapters which explain things: how to gut and carve
creatures, types and cuts of meat, methods of cooking in general.  Those are
VERY worth hunting down and reading.

I can give an nice example of why it's handy to have a "one of everything"
cookbook when redacting.  I had to roast an egg, kinda, for a redaction of
eggs in lent.  I'd never roasted an egg before: and I didn't know what heat,
or length of time.  With Joy of Cooking, I could look that all up.

  who doesn't own any nice kitchen knives either

Oh, Noemi, fix that!  I have both cheap and quality kitchen knives, and I no
longer use the cheap ones.  The good ones balance better, hold a better edge
longer, and don't damage or wear out.

Brag: when I moved into my previous apartment, I found an unopened package
of Wustoff Knives (retail about 280 US dollars) in the back of a cabinet.  I
since have gone out and bought even more, having had the chance to use good
cutlery.

I know they cost the earth.  There is a good reason why people pay the earth
for them.

	Tibor