SC - pickled herring

Tyrca@aol.com Tyrca at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 12:55:10 PDT 1997

  At the Eastern royalty dinner at Pennsic in 1994, a subtlety was
  brought in that I found absolutely staggering:  it was a kneeling
  stag, about 1/2 life size (maybe 3/4--that sucker was *big*).  It was
  carried to the table on a litter on the shoulders of bearers. The
  exterior's key ingredient, I was told, was cream cheese.  When
  pierced to the heart with an arrow, it "bled" warm mulled wine.

Dyffen ap Iago, member of the Laurel, and a damned fine cook. (IIRC... I can
check with my wife, who is a soteltie expert, and who would recall
instantly.)

It was not, however, made of food.  It was made of plastic, and inside it
was a sack of wine taken from "box wine".  If I recall, it is based upon a
surviving description of a period sotelty.

  This thing was awesome.  I've wanted to attempt it myself ever
  since.  Now that Ilive in the Outlands...:-)

It travelled around to a number of events after that, and was always very
popular.  I first saw it "in the flesh" at a Coronation some years later.

	Tibor