SC - SC- Basic Cookbooks

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 14:30:48 PDT 1997

- ---Kimib2 at aol.com wrote:
> << hopin' John on New Year's Day.:-) >>
> whats that then?

Hoppin' John: blackeyed peas, rice, bacon (or ham), and cheese on
top. Guar-an-toldya, gives ya luck for the nex' year.

Off-the-top-of-memory receet:
two cups cooked rice, or however much you need
one standard can (10oz?) blackeye peas,
   or about as much cooked peas as you have rice
fried bacon, about two strips, crumbled,
   or about a slice of pan-fried ham chopped small
1 stalk celery, chop fine without tha leaves
grated cheese to cover
spice to taste

Combine first four 'gredients an' yer spices, slap hit all inta a
bake pan, an' cover top with cheese. Putcher lid on top. Oven-bake
about where ya would good bread, until cheese melts and mixture is
heated plum through tha middle.

(Trad. is finest white rice you can afford, I prefer brown & wild
blend. I go ahead and leave the chopped celery leaves in, as a cue
to done-ness: if the leaf choppings are completely wilted, it's
done. Cheddar is most common in my family for the cheese, although
I also have used jack or mozzarella. Spicing is to personal taste,
and I use garlic powder, salt, a little fine-ground black pepper,
and whatever else I feel like New Year's Eve. I like to finish
with five minutes uncovered, under a broiler or otherwise browning
the cheese slightly.  This can also be done completely on the
stovetop in either the rice or 'pea pan, if careful not to let it
burn to the pan bottom. Served often with a bottle of Tabasco or
similar pepper-sauce near at hand.)

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle / Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra /
Mike C. Baker       F.O.B. (Friend Of Blackfox)
My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!