Spam Horrors! Was Re: SC - head cook-serious then SILLY

Christi Redeker C-Redeker at mail.dec.com
Tue Oct 21 05:49:40 PDT 1997

DianaFiona at aol.com wrote:

> <<
>  I think that the sugar beet is actually period.  There is a European Castle
>  that I saw on A&E that was from the 1400's that has sugar beets as part of
>  the Device of the owners, a baron something or other.  I will try to find
>  the particulars.
>
>                       Lord Jonathus Fitche d'Abercrombie
>   >>
>        Oh, please do, Jon! I've been interested in growing them sometime and
> trying to make sugar. Or at least use them to sweeten baked goods for my
> mother, who is allergic to cane sugar, among many other things...........
> Anyone else have info on them?
>
>     Ldy Diana

This might depend on what trace impurities or additives might be present
in the cane sugar your mother is allergic to, or if it is simply sucrose
itself: chemically, beet and cane sugars are virtually identical forms
of sucrose.

On the other hand, I think you should be able to find granulated forms
of fructose and/or maltose. Glucose, while a sugar, could cause you
problems, in that it doesn't provide a noticeable sweetness, and
overdoing it could cause severe problems.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com