SC - head cook-serious then SILLY

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 06:48:54 PDT 1997

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> << Hen's eggs do, however, taste different from the eggs of ducks and
>  geese. >>
>
> IMHO, eggs from free run chickens are better flavored than commercial eggs. I
> am also of the opinion that brown eggs are better for baking than white eggs.
>
> The debate over the taste of eggs and whether there is a difference in flavor
> between eggs from different chicken varieties has raged on for years and
> years. I must humbly submit that those  who have educated their palettes in
> this food group can and do detect very real differences in flavor.
>
> Ras

I cheerfully concede that there is a difference between the flavors of
free-range eggs (these are, of course, eggs that are allowed to run
free, rather than the penned-up "battery" eggs ;  )  ) and commercial
battery eggs. Note that I used "In my experience" as a qualifier. I
don't have enough experience with fresh-laid free-range eggs to be able
to say whether I could distinguish between them and free-range duck
eggs, or free-range brown chicken eggs, etc.

Agreed on all the above, with the eggsception of the claim that brown
eggs are superior to white for any particular purpose at all, all other
things being equal, eggscept perhaps for their color on Easter or some
such. Bear in mind, of course, that I have almost no experience in
working with any eggs other than those from the supermarket, but I
believe that white eggs would be just as superior, coming fresh directly
from a farm,  to the supermarket variety, as truly fresh brown ones
would.

Actually, my experience has been, and YMMV, that brown eggs generally
are slightly less fresh than white ones, because while my local market
stocks them for the die-hard traditionalists, there are fewer of the
die-hard traditionalists out there who care about whether their eggs are
brown, so the brown eggs don't undergo a stock turnover as fast as white
eggs, and are consequently less fresh.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com