SC - Holy Moly--It's comin in twos and threes!

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Wed Oct 22 09:31:01 PDT 1997

- ---Marisa Herzog <marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu> wrote:
>       RE>>SC - Small Feasts-'unpl                  10/21/97
> > > ...Are there any "period" "sodas"? Gingerbeer?
> > > Birchbeer? ale... etc?
> > I think that depends on what you mean by "soda." There are
> > slightly alcoholic fizzy drinks, such as Kenelm Digby's
> > "Weak Honey Drink," which we generally refer to as small
> > mead and which is flavored with ginger (the recipe was
> > published mid 17th <snip>
> I was thinking of brewed fermented things- I remember my
> dad experimenting for some time with this sort of thing
> when I was little.  At least once a week a bottle would
> "explode" and the house would smell of rootbeer or whatever he
> was experimenting with.
> -brid

Which brings to mind a song I've been searching for for *years*:
"Uncle Hiram's Homemade Beer" [title approximate] -- any clues as to
artist, discography, or sheet music source appreciated (I havta go
try an on-line search as soon as I send this message... thanks for
reminder!)

Others have mentioned assorted mint drinks. Some years ago, a
"Persian mint" beverage was common at feasts in northern Ansteorra.
(Bear, ya listening?) My current difficulty with that version was
the amount of sugar or honey involved -- Type II diabetes, striving
for control via dietary means, and one glass of that *now* would be
far too much of a shock to the system...

What mint-intensive beverages (beyond simple "teas") have others
encountered which might substitute / be an acceptable alternative?

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra (AoA in SCA, so: al-Sayyid) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
     F.O.B. (Friend Of Blackfox)
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com