SC - Manchet (LONG POST)

Louise Sugar dragonfyr at tycho.com
Fri Oct 24 11:51:17 PDT 1997

Angelique wrote:
  Also, I remember reading someone lamenting the cost of saffron, and I
  have found it reasonable in Arabic stores, but even cheaper in Latino
  and oriental import stores. In some cases, outrageosly cheap- about $3
  for a generous handful-size bag.

Beware:

Saffron is A LOT like coffee.  Different types taste very differently.  And
the good stuff costs more.  (The difference between saffron and coffee is
that there *are* fake saffrons).

It is my (insufficiently humble) idea that, for your first saffron purchase,
you pay through the bleeding nose to a high class purveyor of world class
saffron.  Once you know what the real stuff is supposed to taste like, you
can start buying bargain stuff, and discarding what is not right.

In actual truth, a small purchase of a tiny amount of saffron, suitable for
educating your palate is cheap.  Less than 10 dollars, in order to educate
your tastebuds.  It gets cheaper than that, afterward.

	Tibor  (First, know what is right.  Then experiment)