SC - Cuskynoles and redactions

Gedney, Jeff (Xton) Gedney at executone.com
Tue Oct 28 11:19:02 PST 1997

Hi people!

I have seen that there are significant differences in how a redacted
recipe is interpreted and then reproduced.
While attending the Known World Academy of Rapier last spring, I had the
good fortune to attend a class on redacting fencing moves from a period
fencing manual.
The structure was thus:
The attendees were separated into small groups of 3-4 individuals each
and then the groups were each given the same passage to redact. Each
group then presented their redaction in turn, and then the differences
analyzed and a single interpretation agreed upon. This was marvelously
helpful as we were all able to see how each persons individual talents
yielded a slightly different take on the subject. When we combined the
interpretations, the redaction seemed *RIGHT*, somehow, very "Period",
very clear, and understandable.

If a class like this be done for medieval recipes be done (at, say,
Pennsic), the I think that we all could benefit.

I further propose that something like this could be done here.
Someone could post a recipe that needs redaction. Then we could redact
them individually, discuss the differences, try the recipes, and come up
with a "unified" interpretation. ( The Resulting recipes could then be
gathered into a cook book, something like "the Best of SCA-Cooks", and
then sold as a fund raiser, or put on-line as a searchable recipe
database! )
Since this is what we already seem to be doing with "Cuskeynoles", why
not merely make a process out of it, and provide a reuseable resource
for us all?

What do you all think?

Brandu