SC - Re: Domestroi

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Oct 29 20:59:49 PST 1997

And it came to pass on 29 Oct 97, that Mike C. Baker wrote:

> If I have followed other recent discussions with any degree of
> accuracy, the Domestroi is the only surviving pre-1600 Russian
> cookbook (or anything close to a cookbook) of which we know.

I beleive this is correct.

> The descriptions I have seen thus far indicate that it's more of a
> household manual (think "Domestic Science") than what we moderns
> think of usually when we say cookbook (although this is also a point
> upon which i would like to see more discussion as well...)

Yes, that's exactly what it is.  It was written by a Russian cleric
as a manual for how a well-to-do Russian household should be run.  It
includes many admonishments about keeping one's servants
well-behaved (and when and how to beat them), how a modest wife
should comport herself, and the importance of  fulfilling religious
obligations.  Additionally, it has a lot of advice on buying,
raising, and storing foodstuffs, a few recipes for beverages and
fruit preserves, and a chapter with a wonderfully *detailed* list of
the foods which are customarily served at different times of the
year.  It is, IMHO, mandatory reading for anyone interested in
SCA-period Russia.

> ===
> Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
> Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
> Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra (AoA in SCA, so: al-Sayyid) /
> Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want
> them!

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net