SC - RE: sca-cooks V1 #405

Thu Oct 30 08:28:32 PST 1997

"Mike C. Baker" <kihe at rocketmail.com> writes:
> ---Robert Beaulieu <robert.beaulieu at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >       What is "Domestroi"?
>
> The descriptions I have seen thus far indicate that it's more of a
> household manual (think "Domestic Science") than what we moderns

Yes, the Domestroi is not really a cookbook per se, but rather "how
you should run your house"

It has several sections which address several aspects of living:
(these examples are not direct, but rather to give an idea)
	How you should be sure to count your knives before your
		guests leave.
	How you should instruct your children in the ways of the bible
	How you should conduct your dealings in the market.
	How to make Kuzimin apples (Kirzamin apples?)
	etc.

It has perhaps a dozen descriptions on how to prepare food. and about
the same for drinks (mead and kvass (i think))

kind of sparce, but there is more information in there than you
might first suspect.  For example, it talks of how to keep your larder
from going bad, and what foods (not recipies) are served on lent days
to both the nobles and their servents... it give a good list of foods
which are appropriate for holidays as well.

The Evans translation is the only one i know of.  (not sure of the
name, havn't seen it since war... in one of the trunks no doubt)
I've seen cyrilic editions available, but am not sure which edition it
comes from, or if it's a facsimile, or if it's a modern russian
translation.  Apparently there were several editions which came out
over a fairly wide period of years.  the translation provides a little
history of the book and tries to consolidate the various editions and
point out the differing sections from each.

One of these days, i hope to create a good index to food reference to
it..(sigh, yet another project on the back burner... i wish i had a
real life stove with that many back burners... :)

In service,
Filip of the Marche