SC - clotted cream and melted cheese

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Fri Oct 31 09:04:53 PST 1997

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> Mark Harris wrote:
>
> > Kumiss? Although, yes that was once milk.
>
> Fresh kumiss is white. Aged kumiss is sort of a tranlucent yellowish.
> Kinda like cheese-flavored white wine.

Kael then asked:
>I've never heard of kumiss.  Is it alcoholic?

Yes. True kumiss is a drink made by various nomadic people and particularly
the Mongols. While traditionally out of mare's milk (Mongol ponies are
small as horses go), it can be made with cow milk. For those interested in
directions and more details, take a look at this file in the BEVERAGES
section of Stefan's Florilegium:

kumiss-msg        (18K)  7/ 8/97    Mongol drink made from mare's milk.

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Ld. Stefan li Rous
mark_harris at email.sps.mot.com