SC - clotted cream and melted cheese

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Fri Oct 31 09:04:53 PST 1997

Hi all,

just wanted to talk about clotted cream.  The recipe that was given
sounded rather more like what I know as whipped cream.  What I
understood to be clotted cream is, I think, cream that is put into a
flattish earthenware dish and left on the back of the stove at the
very lowest heat possible (try an asbestos or other mat, if possible)
for about 24 hours, by which time it will not have boiled, but
thickened, at least the top layer, and have a crusting that looks
rather like cradle cap.  You then put it on some stone to cool down
and eat with just about anything, since it's not sweet.  One of the
Elizabeth David recipes for saffron cake uses clotted cream instead
of butter.  I'm not altogether sure of this recipe, never having made
it.  Doubtless someone else will know better, perhaps Cynethrith?

Also, I _think_ (not certain, have lent out my copy), that the
Gloucester cheese and ale recipe in Elisabeth Ayrton's The Cookery of
England is period?  I think it involves melting cheese and ale (and
butter?) and pouring it over bread.

Cheers,

Cairistiona