SC - Re: sc- modern myths-period food

NATALIE BOON BOON at fis.utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 2 11:30:18 PDT 1997

Greetings-

In scholarly tradition, the idea of "overspiced food" is tied into
the larger premise that the Dark Ages were a low point of
civilization between the Roman Empire and the Renaissance.  Scholars
in the Renaissance felt that as Europe had entered a "modern" age,
things had to be LOTS better than they used to be.  Luckily, that's
an old and less accepted theory now.  To paraphrase a more modern view-
 kings eat well (or find out who's responsible that they didn't!).

SCA perceptions of period food as being overspiced may be linked to
changes in tastes.  Also, appearance was very important.  In some
cases what the food looked like was more important than what it
tasted like.  Somehow I don't see that extreme catching on in the
SCA.  I'd imagine that (in period) it was tied into food being a form
of conspicous consumption.  (My feasts are better than your feasts,
my church is bigger than your church, etc.)

Lady Berengiere Fortescue
Ealdormere, Middle Kingdom

> I should point out that the idea of
> "overspiced" food in both the cuisines of ancient Rome and medieval
> Europe go at least as far back as the eighteenth century, based on
> literary sources...
>
> Adamantius

    A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us.
        --Franz Kafka