SC - Salmon at feasts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 9 10:54:55 PDT 1997

Marisa Herzog wrote:

> That would be coulibiac, which was originally made from sturgeon.
> Traditional coulibiac, even now, is supposed to contain vesiga, which is a
> gelatinous stuff taken from the spine of the sturgeon,in addition to the other
> fish flesh.
>
> Adamantius
> ______________________________________
> eeeeew!  I don't wanna eat it that way! I try not to be a food weenie, but
> that just doesn't appeal.
> -brid

I dunno. Many people are into certain textures. Certainly if you ask a
Chinese person what the appeal is, of, say, sea cucumber, they'll tell
you it is the texture, as it has very little flavor of its own.

Personally, my feelings about cooking with arrowroot are about the same.
If you want food that is slimy, then just let it sit for a few days out
of refrigeration.

I believe the amount of vesiga used traditionally, in proportion to the
other ingredients, would be noticable more by its absence, rather than
by its presence, if you know what I mean. There might well have been
vesiga in the coulibiac you ate, for all you could tell, whereas a
Russian cook of the old school would have been outraged by its absence
(again, for all your, or I, could tell ;  )  ).

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com