SC - Newcomers Redaction

Phyllis Spurr PSPURR at r03.tdh.state.tx.us
Fri Oct 10 07:31:56 PDT 1997

> Date sent:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 19:21:13 -0700 (PDT)
> From:           "Mike C. Baker" <kihe at rocketmail.com>

> Err, folkses? Esp. Meistres Eowyn? Didja all see my attempted
> redaction, and if so did I mess up too severely anywhere?

Got it.  No one has "messed up" this redaction.  I choose this
particular receipe as a newcomers redaction it was because it was
easy to read and most people would recognize a "rice pudding"
receipe.

> Looking back at it, I'm not so sure that I got the initial quantity of
> water correct from memory...

I started with more water.  I used wild rice.  The nutty flavor of
the rice was more complimentary with the O.J. thank white rice.
I continued to cook my version on the stove top (with a lid) instead
of in the oven.

> Having seen other commentary about in-period oranges, I'm wondering if
> it would help my proposed version of this dish if the zest of one or
> two were added to the juice? (Newbie time: by "zest", I *think*
> everyone means the grated brightly-colored portion of the peel, which
> is the primary source of peel oils. Right?)

Hadn't thought about this.

> [...]
> > > Ok, newcomers, let's try our hand at the following receipt:
> > > To make a Tart of Ryce.
> > > Boyle your Rice, and put in the yolkes of two or three
> > > Egges into the Rice, and when it is boyled, put it into
> > > a dish, and season it with Suger, Cinamon, and Ginger,
> > > nad butter, and the iuyce of two or three
> > > Orenges, and set it on the fire againe.
> >
> > Quick summary:
> > Boil [quantity] of rice, stir in three egg yolks, return to a boil.
> > Season with sugar, cinnamon, ginger, butter; add juice from two or
> > three oranges. Pour mixture into baking dish and cook until "set".
> >
> > Off-the-cuff redaction (untested!!!):
> > 1 c. rice
> > 1 scant cup water (plus additonal as determined by need/experience)
> > 3 egg yolks
> > 1/4 c. sugar (I'd like to try this with Turbinado, trade name
> >               "Sugar in the Raw")
> > 1 tsp each cinnamon & ginger
> >      (powdered; more or less to taste. Grated fresh ginger root
> >       preferred to dry powder, "true" cinnamon to cassia)
> > 3 Tbsp butter (to start... adjust as needed, allow for greasing pan)
> > 1 to 2 cups fresh-squeezed orange juice (one large modern orange;
> >             leave pulp in -- do not strain!)
> >      Prepare rice as usual for eating (boil water, add rice, return
> > boil, cover pot tightly, allow to steam over very low heat 25-30
> > minutes, *don't lift lid!* until steaming complete, indicated by
> > complete absorption of liquid).
> >      While rice is still hot, combine with additional ingredients,
> > return to a boil while stirring constantly (to avoid sticking to
> > bottom of pot). Pour into buttered baking dish, bake carefully at
> > approx. 325 degrees F until liquid completely absorbed.
> >
> > Expectations / notes: been a long time since I did (baked) rice
> > pudding from scratch, so I may have temp & time badly "off". The
> > quantity of sugar is probably extremely conservative / too little.
> I'm
> > coming from a mostly-modern background at the stove, so forgive me if
> > I have introduced modern technique biases. I generally use whatever
> > spices I have laid my hands on, i.e. supermarket dry powders, but am
> > *trying* to move toward fresher / more "period" types even in my
> daily
> > modern cooking.
> >
> > > Dawson, Thomas, The Good Huswife's Iewel, 2 parts. London, 1596/7.
> > > The English Experience, Number 865, Walter J. Johnson, Inc.
> > > Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, Ltd. Amsterdam 1977 Norwood, N.J.
> >
> > Theater of the Earth's Globe? IOW, [New] Globe Theater?
> >
> > > We *can* do this!
> > > Phyllis L. Spurr
> > > Eowyn ferch Rhys Cyfurdd
> > > Barony of Elfsea, Ansteorra
> >
> > Easy for *you* to say, considering.
> >
> > ===
> > Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
> > Kihe Blackeagle / Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra /
> > Mike C. Baker       F.O.B. (Friend Of Blackfox)
> > My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!

Can we get some of the more experienced cooks of the list to comment
on how we newcomers did with this challenge?

Thanks

Phyllis L. Spurr
Eowyn ferch Rhys Cyfurdd
Barony of Elfsea, Ansteorra