SC - Mustard soup

James and/or Nancy Gilly KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 26 06:54:25 PST 1997

At 19:42 25-10-97 +0000, Adamantius wrote:
>I regret that I've never tasted His Excellency Salaamallah's mustard
>soup, but it does appear to have quite a wide reputation.

It's wonderful.  (!!!)  It's traditionally (I believe *always*) served at
the Feast of Simple Fare (an event I highly recommend), and I, for one,
could happily make a meal of just the soup, with bread and perhaps a bit of
cheese.

>The only
>mustard soup I can think of, offhand, from a primary source, is in le
>Viandier de Taillevent. He's got a recipe for egg sops, with a similar
>recipe for mustard sops, as a sort of partner to it. I don't recall if
>the mustard sops is a variation on the egg sops, or if it is intended
>that they be served together.
>
>Are poached eggs, or, for that matter, eggs in any form, involved in the
>mustard soup you know? This might provide a clue as to whether this soup
>has some basis in the Viandier's recipe.

The main ingredients, as I recall, are chicken stock, milk/cream, eggs (not
poached, but stirred into the broth), and of course mustard.

>Maybe a query on the EK list might get us somewhere. Perhaps someone
>from Barony Beyond the Mountain might have a recipe for this.

As I said in my original request, it was printed (I believe in mid or late
'94) in both the *Nocking Point* (the newsletter of BBM's Canton of Bowman's
Rest) and in an A&S issue of the *Pikestaff*.

Slainte -

Alasdair mac Iain
Dun an Leomhainn Bhig
Barony of Marinus