Re- SC - Small Feasts-'unpl

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Thu Oct 23 00:09:38 PDT 1997

Brid said:
>...Are there any "period" "sodas"?  Gingerbeer?  Birchbeer?  ale... etc?
>I was thinking of brewed fermented things- I remember my dad experimenting for
>some time with this sort of thing when I was little.  At least once a week a
>bottle would "explode" and the house would smell of rootbeer or whatever he
>was experimenting with.

I believe the ones you mention are out of period, probably 18th and 19th
century. But there are other lightly fermented and different fermented drinks.
Take a look at these files in the BEVERAGES section of Stefan's Florilegium:

beverages-msg     (75K)  8/22/97    Beverages in general. alcholic drinks.
beverages-NA-msg  (72K)  8/ 4/97    Non-alcoholic beverages.
kumiss-msg        (18K)  7/ 8/97    Mongol drink made from mare's milk.
kvass-msg         (45K)  5/30/97    Russian drink made from bread or grains.

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
mark_harris at email.sps.mot.com