SC - OK - here's a kind of anal question...

Thu Sep 4 11:48:07 PDT 1997

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Debra Hense wrote:

> _Libre de Sent Sovi_.
> Libre del Coch_
>
> Where, how, who do I contact to obtain copies of these books? And a copy
> of a Catalan dictionary?  thanks so much for any and all answers.

Greetings! This isn't exactly an answer to your question, but it might
help you in the meanwhile! There's a fairly recent cookbook that includes
70 medieval Mediterranean-area recipes. Her sources include the Libre de
Sent Sovi and Libre del Coch, as well as Maestro Martino's Libro de Arte
Coquinaria (mid 15th-C.), and the Cuoco Napolitano (late 15th-C.).  She
has a nice introduction explaining how these sources, and others, relate
to each other in terms of chronology and recipe-borrowing. The recipes are
given in their original language, then translated, then redacted.  Her
redactions seem quite reasonable (no odd ingredients or absurd
substitutions!) I've been very pleased with the recipes I've tried so far!

The book is:

Santich, Barbara. The Original Mediterranean Cuisine: medieval recipes for
today. Chicago Review Press, 1995. $15.95, paperback. ISBN: 155652272X.

- -- Marieke van de Dal
   Mountain Freehold
   East Kingdom