SC - Slovak/Russian Receipe

Rodney L Johnson RODKRISJOHNSON1 at prodigy.net
Thu Sep 4 13:28:47 PDT 1997

And it came to pass on  4 Sep 97, that Marisa Herzog wrote:

[snip]
>I wish I could find where I had seen bitter orange listed as
> a probable verjuice source

In various recipes in the _Libro de Guisado_ (Catalan/Spanish, 16th
century), orange juice is listed as an alternative to verjuice or
vinegar, and is used as the primary sauce ingredient in many of the
fish dishes.  Presumably this would be from sour/bitter oranges; I
believe that the sweet varieties are modern.

Barbara Santich, in _The Original Mediterranean Cuisine_, says, "The
standard accompaniments to fried fish were lemon juice (or the tart
orange juice of the time) or green sauce."  She comments elsewhere in
the book that vinegar and verjuice were interchangeable in many
recipes, and that lemon juice or the juice of bitter oranges were
other substitutes.

> thank you for your tolerance!
> -brid
> ;)