SC - SC-Gingerbread Advice Needed

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Thu Sep 4 21:42:56 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << I believe it's somewhere in the Flower/Rosenbuam Apicius
>  translation.  >>
>
> This is the translation that I have owned for the last 15 years and the one I
> am most familiar with. I also bought the Vehling translation at War this
> year. My question is which of the 2 translations is most valuable to a
> student of cookery?

Tough call. If I remember Vehling and his translation, he was a
professional cook with an interest in history, while Flower and
Rosenbaum were professional scholars with an interest in cookery. My
general impression is that the ladies practiced their hobby a bit better
than Vehling did his. All in all, I'd have to go with Flower/Rosenbaum.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com