Fw: SC - A herb/spices question. . .

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 9 14:50:45 PDT 1997

<< Having just moved the some of the same bottles of herbs, spices and
extracts
 for the third time in two years I began to wonder if any of this stuff was
 still good.  What is the average shelf life for seasonings? >>

For herbs, the average shelf-life is about 6 mths to a year before the flavor
deteriorates substancially. Spices depend on how they've been stored and
whether they are whole spices or ground spices. If they are bug and mold
free, taste or smell. If they appear to still be strong then use them. For
sauces and extracts, I would advise the same. I have had a quart bottle of
Fish Sauce from Thailand on my shelf for 11 years. It's still good.
Worchestershire also has an indefinate shelf life. While hot sauce tends to
go rancid after a year or so.

 << How can you tell when its time to get rid of them?  >>

When they get bugs in them, mold, turn colors and/or smell taste wrong. :-)

Lord Ras