SC - gum arabic

Caitlin Cheannlaidir caitlin at phosphor-ink.com
Sun Sep 14 19:11:32 PDT 1997

I am not posting Vehling's translation of 'Isicia  ex Spondylis' since I have
already done so but here is the 'perfected' redaction. I hope you enjoy. Any
comments either to the list or privately would be most welcome.

A DISH OF SCALLOPS
"Isicia Ex Spondylis'

A redaction by L. J. Spencer, Jr., copyright 09-14-97.

Notes: In the following recipe I finally decided on a coarser wheat product
than the original experimental recipe used after reading several posts from
Adamantius and others on the SCA-Cooks list. If you do not use Caul or
another similar type of wrapping be sure to allow the batter to fry until it
is firm on one side as it is extremely tender and  difficult to turn it if
you try to do so to soon. The color should be 'well-browned'. Of course, if
you use the caul as intended in the original you will not have this problem.
The finished product looks very similar to small oblong pouches nice and
brown with a crispy outside covering. The interior is most and sweet very
much like the sweetness of oysters. If you do not use  the caul the product
looks amazingly like fried oysters and could , with little imagination be
used as an illusion food to represent that product. I did not particularly
care for the base fish sauce but others may find it quite tasty. I garnished
it with fronds of reconstituted dry seeweed.

1 lb. scallops, lightly sauted in olive oil

COOKED WHEAT
- ---------------------------
1 cp. Wheatena
2  1/2 cps water
3/4 tsp. salt

3 lg. eggs
3/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Caul
Rish fish stock
Olive oil for frying

Minced cooked scallops very fine.

In a non-stick saucepan, combine Wheatena, water, andd salt. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low and cook until very thick, stirring to prevent
burning. (About 5-6 mins.) When it starts sticking to bottom immediately
remove from heat. Cool.

Combine wheat mixture, scallops, eggs and pepper thorouhly. Wrap a heaping
tblspful in a piece of caul. Repeat until all of the mixture is used. (Note:
If you are not using caul elliminate this step).

Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Lay croquettes in fat seam side ddown. Brown
and turn. Repeat until all are cooked. (IMPORTANT: If you are NOT using a
wrapping then drop by lg. tbspnfuls into hot oil). Drain on absorbent paper
or cloth.

To serve: place a couple of tblsps. of fish stock on plate and put 3
croquettes in center. These are also good without sauce and are very
flavorful at room temperature.

Servings: 12 (36 croquettes>3 per serving)