SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #278

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Wed Sep 17 16:13:35 PDT 1997

Murkial af Maun asked:

>2.  What flavors would have been period, if any?  I usually use
>wintergreen, anise, cinnamon and peppermint oils for my candies.

I haven't seen any refereence to flavors for a hardened sugar syrup.  I
would wonder if those oils had come into existence.  Sugar _was_
flavored with rose and violet, the two most popular flavors, this was
not in a melted sugar state.  I would seriously doubt that the English
flavored the "stained glass".  Keep in mind that re-creating a stained
glass object may well be an anachronism.  Reference is to re-creating
objects such as fruits, statues, flowers, plates, etc.  While a castle
is referred to, and I think that the jewels in the coronation subtlety
might be melted sugar, I have seen no reference to recreating a stained
glass window.

Alys Katharine