SC - Website Suggestions for photos

Christi Redeker C-Redeker at mail.dec.com
Thu Sep 18 09:37:52 PDT 1997

Umm, about visiting the USH campus in the other world (not the virtual
one)...

We were not apprised of the physical conditions of this site when my
lord was invited to teach several years ago.

To reach the site, you need a vehicle that can go straight up for about
a mile on a very steep, winding, narrow gravel road (the road up from
the Columbia Gorge at river level, to the top of the plateau on the
Washington side).   I'd say there are a number of places, especially the
initial turn-UP, which are over 20 degrees steep.   It's frankly
terrifying in places, no outer edges to some world-class drop-offs, and
the neighbors tend to drive in the middle of the road, at about 50 mph.
Oh, and make sure you have REAL good brakes for the descent, or a manual
transmission so you can come down in about 2d gear.

And it took us about 2 years to get all the dust stains and burs out of
the camping equipment.  Various high desert insect life, both
creepy-crawly and flying.  Roads, paths and trails within the site are
fairly primitive-- walking the site is a fairly athletic activity.  I
understand there are some great views.