SC - Cook's badge

Fri Sep 19 05:45:37 PDT 1997

Suzanne Berry wrote:

>      Interesting.  I'm an absolute beginner at this, and it does sound
>      interesting, with this being a good quick way to come up with a
>      dish.  It brings up a question, though;  I remember reading,
>      somewhere (I can't remember where at the moment) that Contiental
>      rabbits are entirely dark meat, while American rabbits are all
>      white.  Would someone with more of a clue than I care to comment?
>
>      -  Aislinn

I wasn't aware of that. Taxonomically the rabbits of the New World are
the same species (or at least they were) as those of the Old World,
having been introduced to the New World by European colonists, IIRC.

As for the color of their meat, this may be a battery-versus-free-range
question. I have heard just as many caveats/complaints about tasteless
battery-raised and/or frozen rabbits from European sources as from
American ones. It does stand to reason that a genuine wild rabbit (or
hare) would be a little darker in color and stronger in flavor than a
factory version.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com